If your fast and new windows 10 laptop has started losing some of its speed, you don’t need to panic as there are some easy ways to put your windows 10 laptop back to its momentum. Try out these quick and easy tips to improve your laptop performance without altering any of its hardware.
Limit Startup Programmes
Software manufacturers often design their programmes to start automatically as soon as the system boots up and keep running in the background afterwards. This helps you to quickly open the program as soon as you click on their icons. This feature is a time-saver for the programmes that you use frequently. However, for the programmes you use rarely, this setting occupies precious memory and causes slow bootups.
The good news is that in Windows 10, it is now easier than ever to adjust the applications you want to allow on Windows startup. Just follow these steps
- Head to the Task Manager.
- Click on the Startup tab (click on more details in case you don’t see the Startup tab).
- You will see a list of programmes that start with your Windows 10 laptop’s bootup. In case you see a programme that doesn't need to be there, right-click on it and select Disable.
P.S. You can also sort the programmes by Startup impact, which is showing you the programmes that are utilising most of the system’s resources.
Bloatware is a term used for unwanted software that comes pre-installed on a PC, laptop, smartphone, or tablet. Bloatware utilizes your system’s space, reduces battery life, and ruins performance.
In case your Windows 10 laptop came with bloatware, get rid of them. The same goes for any programme you installed that you later found to be of little or no use.
- Head to the Windows 10 built-in search box, and search for the Control Panel.
- Under the Programs header, select Uninstall a program.
- Go through the list of installed programmes on your laptop and right-click on the programme you no longer need and then click Uninstall at the top of the list to kick out that programme from your laptop.
Find and Fix the Problem
Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter that can help you find and fix the problems that are affecting windows 10 laptop speed. To open the troubleshooter.
- Right-click on the Start button.
- Then click Control Panel. Click on System and Security and then under Security and Maintenance at the top, click Troubleshoot common computer problems, this will lead you to a screen where Windows 10 is suggesting to you that either you need to run a troubleshooter or not. Simply follow the suggestion to improve your laptop performance.
Run Disk Cleanup
Disk Cleanup is a quite handy Windows utility and has been around forever. It greatly improves your laptop performance by cleaning out the temporary files, installers and other junk that is littering your hard drive. To run Disk Cleanup, just follow these easy steps.
- Head to the Windows 10 built-in search box, and search for Disk Cleanup.
- Select the drive you want to clean up from the drop-down menu and click OK.
- Select Clean up system files and then click OK.
Disable Automatic Updates
Normally it is not advisable to turn off the Windows automatic updates. As these updates are the simplest ways to save your laptop from numerous cyber-attacks and other compatibility issues. And turning them off may prone your Windows 10 laptop to some serious security holes. However, in some cases, turning these updates off is excusable.
For instance, if you are a gamer and play games on your laptop, then there is a high possibility that various game distribution platforms such as Epic Games and Aeria Games are often installing multiple large updates and patches on your gaming laptop in the background. There are multiple other programmes that are significantly prone to updates as well.
So, by turning these updates off and turning them on again only when you actually want to use that programme, you can ensure that these updates will not spoil your laptop’s performance.
Turn Off Unnecessary Animation
Since the time of Windows XP, Microsoft operating system has been immensely enriched with fancy and animated graphics to make your user-experience full of vibrant and accurate colours. However, if you can sacrifice some of this user experience for the sake of a bit fast speed then there is an easy way to do it.
- Search Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows in the Windows 10 built-in search box.
- Then from the scroll-down menu untick everything that you don’t want to see on your laptop such as enable peak, shadows etc. and this will change the laptop into something basic-looking machine but will make it a bit faster as well.
The Bottom Line
Your Window 10 laptop might slow down due to several factors. In your case, the reason for a slower Windows 10 laptop could be very different. You can always figure out what is the real reason in your use case scenario. So, go through all of the aforementioned steps to see what works for you. If you follow the steps correctly, you will see a visible increase in the speed of your laptop.